National Rice Month Scholarship
Scholarship Sponsored by US Rice Federation
September is National Rice Month, a time to celebrate the harvest of the small but mighty grain that has captivated Americans’ hearts and stomachs for more than 300 years. Nearly 85 percent of the rice consumed in the United States is grown right here on family farms across six states: Arkansas, California, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, and Texas.
That’s a fun fact that not many people are aware of — and that’s where you come in! The National Rice Month Scholarship Video Contest is an opportunity for graduating high school students living in one of those six rice-growing states to tell a story about U.S. rice.
Create a video or animation that in three minutes or less, shines a light on this versatile, tasty, home-grown grain. Educate, entertain, and tell us why you think rice is special – to you, to your state, or to the world!
How to Enter
- Create an original, short (3 minutes or less) video about U.S. rice, National Rice Month, and the importance of rice to you, your state, or the world in general.
- Upload your video to YouTube or Vimeo. Please note, TikTok videos may only be uploaded via Vimeo.
- Complete the entry form and submit your video. Entries must be received by October 31, 2023.
- After you’ve uploaded your video, share it on your social media. Encourage your friends, family, and teachers to watch and vote for your video. (You can also check out your competition.)
Graduating high school students (2023-24 school year) from the six primary rice-growing states — Arkansas, California, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, and Texas — who have not previously won a National Rice Month Scholarship are eligible to apply with the following exclusions: children of board members of the USA Rice Federation, USA Rice Council, USA Rice Farmers, USA Rice Millers’ Association, and USA Rice Merchants’ Association; and/or children of USA Rice Federation committee members, USA Rice Federation employees, or American Commodity Company (ACC) employees.
Three scholarship prizes, sponsored by the American Commodity Company (ACC), totaling $10,000 will be awarded:
- The grand-prize winner will receive a $5,000 scholarship.
- The second-place winner will receive a $3,000 scholarship.
- The third-place winner will receive a $2,000 scholarship.